Vermont State Government Resources for Home Owners VTDAIL
Staying in Your Home
Senior citizens who need assistance to stay in their home can refer to the Vermont Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) or call the Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119.

HomeShare assists elders and people with disabilities to live independently in their own homes by bringing them together with people who seek affordable housing and/or caregiving opportunities. In northwestern Vermont contact HomeShare Vermont at 802-863-5625. For HomeShare Now serving central Vermont call 802-479-8544.

USDA Rural Development offers very low income housing repair loans and grants for rural homeowners and mobile home owners in approved parks in Vermont and New Hampshire. Loans up to $20,000 for eligible applicants for home improvement/modernization, health and safety. Grants up to $7,500 for eligible applicants 62 and older for health and safety, accessibility modifications for household member with a disability.

The Vermont Center for Independent Living Home Access Program (HAP) provides home entry and bathroom accessibility modifications for low-income Vermonters with physical disabilities. Visit their website or call 1-800-639-1522.


The Department does not have jurisdiction over state condominium statutes or regulate condominium associations. We are providing these links for your convenience. If you have specific questions we recommend consulting an attorney familiar with these laws.

Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act (27A VSA; 1994, amended in 2012)
Statute relating to condominiums in Vermont. May not apply if condominium was established before January 1, 1999 or has fewer than 24 units.

Condominium Ownership Act (27 VSA Chapter 15; 1967)
Statute relating to condominiums in Vermont, protection of tenants in conversion of rental units, protection of tenants in conversion of mobile home parks. Applies to all properties which have submitted a “Declaration of Condominium” which is a legal document and filed in the town land records.
Renting Your House
Add an Apartment to Your House
Get “Finding Common Ground: the Definitive Guide to Renting in Vermont” (pdf)
Publication of CVOEO Vermont Tenants and Vermont Apartment Owners’ Assoc
Vermont Rental Housing Health Code

Code Highlights and Information Sheets for codes administered by the
Vermont Department of Public Safety, Fire Safety Division.